Clinical Innovation Fellowships Egypt
01.05.2021 to 31.01.2022
A transdisciplinary team of four fellows reached the end of the program after developing needs-based solutions based on their immersion experience at Al Nas Hospital, the program’s clinical host.
The Clinical Innovation Fellowships 2021 is an eight-month innovation scholarship starting April 2021. It provides participants the opportunity to work in a transdisciplinary team following the Stanford Biodesign methodology. The program is arranged by enpact e.V., RISE Research Institutes of Sweden, and EIT Health. The program includes:
- Clinical Immersion period of 6-8 weeks in a dedicated healthcare organization
- Expert lectures and workshops throughout duration of program
- Mentoring by leaders from healthcare, venture capital and medtech industry
- Support: Reference groups, coaches, mentors and team experts
- Monthly stipend for selected participants
Aim of the program:
- Generate commercially viable innovations based on validated healthcare needs that can benefit the host organization and/or the healthcare system as a whole
- Grow a multidisciplinary network of fellows in the healthcare landscape
- Educate clinical innovation fellows with a deep understanding of healthcare and the Medtech industry
Who’s the program for?
The program is targeting professionals and aspiring entrepreneurs who want to contribute to Global Health and take part in leading MedTech development.
You should have a background in one of the following disciplines:
- Business development (or closely related)
- Medicine (includes any healthcare profession)
- Design (Product/Service/UX)
- Tech development (Engineer or similar)
The application process:
For the 2021 Clinical Innovation Fellowships, 4 participants will be selected in total, to form a team, one from each of the above disciplines: business, design, engineering, and medicine.
Starting June 2021, the four fellows were introduced to the Stanford Biodesign Methodology, followed by a six-week clinical immersion experience where they collected on-ground observations, to ultimately develop needs-based solutions that can enhance healthcare services.
Benefits of joining the program:
- A unique initiative
The goal of the Clinical Innovation Fellowship is to improve healthcare by identifying clinical needs and challenges gathered during clinical immersion and create solutions to address those needs.
For many of our participants, the program becomes the first step in creating a start-up in the medical technology field.
The program is delivered by enpact e.V. , RISE Research Institutes of Sweden and EIT Health. It is inspired by the Biodesign Fellowship program at Stanford University and part of a Global network of similar programs.
- Multidisciplinary team
The Clinical Innovation Fellowship team collaborates closely during the entire program and is curated with key consideration to diversity and collaboration skills. The team members are experts in their respective fields; they have relevant experience and complement each other’s skills and strengths. During the program, the team develops a common strategic focus and mission statement, thus creating a strong and capable team founded on sharing and collaboration for success.
- The Biodesign process
The Clinical Innovation Fellowship Program is based on the needs-led innovation process for medtech innovation developed at Stanford University. It follows a design thinking logic and three basic phases: Identify-Invent-Implement. During the process you will identify needs in healthcare, develop and test solutions based on those needs and a strategy to bring your solution to the market.
You will not be able to bring in predetermined solutions to be further developed during the program. This is a team effort, based on the identification of the main challenges to address during the clinical immersion.
- Local immersion, global market
The Clinical Innovation Fellowship teams operate in Europe’s leading network for the systematic identification of clinical needs and development of solutions to impact healthcare worldwide.
The initiative is based on clinical immersion in Egypt and supported by the international partner organizations.
- Deep clinical experience
Clinical immersion is the heart of the Clinical Innovation Fellowships program. As a participant, you will spend 6-8 weeks in a specific healthcare setting where you will observe and interact with healthcare professionals and patients during everyday clinical practice. During the program the team will learn about the clinical field and work alongside the healthcare professionals to assess needs, create and evaluate new ideas.
- Local and international support network
As a participant in the program, you become part of a wider network of leading organizations in medical innovation across Europe. The network provides a platform for development and marketing of any solution that is developed within the fellowship program.
- Sunday, March 27th – Application deadline
- Monday, March 29th to MondayApril 12th – Applicant Interviews
- Friday, April 17th – Assessment Day
- Sunday, April 25th – Offer
- Monday, May 24th – Bootcamp starts part-time – evening sessions
- Tuesday, June 1st – Clinical Immersion Starts
- Thursday, July 29th – Clinical Immersion Ends
- Thursday, January 13th – Graduation Ceremony
About partner organizations:
RISE: Research Institutes of Sweden AB (RISE) is a Swedish state-owned research institute, collaborating together with universities, industry and the public sector to drive international competitive sustainable development and growth. RISE performs industry research and innovation as well as testing and certification.
EIT health: EIT Health was established in 2015, as a ‘knowledge and innovation community’ (KIC) of the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT). The EIT is made up of various KICs who each focus on a different sector, or area, of innovation – in our case, that is health and aging. The idea behind the EIT KICs is that innovation flourishes best when the right people are brought together to share expertise.